Walter Pringle of Craigcrook, Advocate
Craigcrook Castle was built for William Adamson who bought the Craigcrook estate in 1542, and was killed at the Battle of Pinkie in 1547. His descendant, Walter Adamson, extended the house in 1626 and probably built the wall and gateway dated 1626.
While there is almost certainly older work incorporated, the main part of Craigcrook Castle seems to date from the early 17th century, with later additions. Excluding the modern extensions to N and E, it consists of a main block, 60′ x 20′, the towers attached, 3 storeys high. The windows have been enlarged. Internally, the ground floor was vaulted, as is the upper floor of the round tower. This amount of vaulting suggests a date of construction earlier that the first half of the 17th century, so it is probably that the extensive rebuilding of that time was superimposed on an earlier fortalice.
Extract from the history of the Parish of Cramond – “To the S.W. of Drylaw in the hollow at the foot of Corstorphine Hill where it makes a turn or crook to the east whence name is derived, stands Craigcrook Castle”. Owners include Adamson family (1500-1650), John Mein, John Hall, Walter Pringle, John Strachen and Lord Jeffrey.
Freemasonry: Walter Pringle of Graycrook [Craigcrook] (an Advocate, and uncle of Sir John Pringle of Stitchill, 2nd Bart.) was initiated on the 24 June 1670, into of the Lodge of Edinburgh, St. Marys Chapel, No.1.
A History of Craigcrook Castle by James Taylor
Walter Pringle of Craigcrook, Edinburgh (Advocate)
From Page 311, Records of the Pringles of the Scottish Border, by Alex Pringle. Edinburgh, 1933.
Walter Pringle was the second son of John Pringle, fear, and son of Robert Pringle first of the House of Stitchill. He appears first in the office of James Allen, W.S.. In 1661 he graduated at Leyden University. In 1665 he appears as advocate for Mr John Pringle, minister of Eglingham, Northumberland (A.D., Dalrymple), and at various times for other Pringles, as Walter Pringle of Greenknowe, Marion wife of John Hunter of Cousland, Jean wife of Walter Scott of Satchells, Mark Pringle in Nenthorn, Jean wife of John Buchanan of that Ilk, Robert Merchant in Rouen, and Robert Pringle of Symington. In 1674 the leaders of the bar were suspended from practising for asserting the right of appeal from the decisions of the Court of Session. Walter was re-admitted in 1677. In 1681 he subscribed the Test. He was one of the advocates for the Earl of Argyle who subscribed an opinion that the Earl’s explanation of the Test contained nothing treasonable, for which they were threatened with deprivation, but having interviewed the Duke of York, its framer, they were excused by him (L. H. N.). For the escape of the Earl from prison, see Torwoodlee.
In 1684 the Newmills Cloth Co. pursue several persons, including Walter (now of Craigcrook), for buying, contrary to Act of Parliament, imported English cloth (P. S.). In 1685 as a noted pleader on the side of the Covenanters he defended Sir Hugh and Sir John Campbell of Cessnock on their forfeiture by Parliament for alleged participation in the Ryehouse plot, and in December 1684 was one of the council for the defence of Robert Baillie of Jerviswood.
Walter died in August 1685, and was buried in Greyfriars. By his first wife Rachel, daughter of James Deans, he had issue: John, his heir, Walter, Elizabeth, and Rachel; by his second, Jean Deans, he had Robert and Jean. He left to his widow 15,000 merks, and to his five children 2000 merks each to be paid out of his lands by his heir John (T. E., 1687). Jean his widow died in 1700.
In 1703 John Pringle, writer in Edinburgh, gets sasine of £60 yearly furth of Angelraw, Berwickshire. In 1727 and 1729 George and James Pringle, writers, Edinburgh, are quoted. In 1747 died Robert Pringle, writer, Edinburgh (see Kelso).
The Castle was put on sale in 2014:
Here are the plans for its future: