Pringle of Torsonce
The Hoppringles of that ilk, afterwards the Pringles of Torsonce, on Gala Water, were the Chiefs of the clan and the senior branch of the family. The last Clan Chief was John Hoppringle of that Ilk and Torsonce, who died on 21st December 1737. His only daughter, Margaret, married Gilbert Pringle, 2nd son of the 2ndBaronet of Stichill, carried the estates into that branch of the family.
A location with a Victorian mansion in the Scottish Borders, Torsonce lies a half-mile (1 km) southwest of Stow and on the right bank of the Gala Water. The mansion was built in 1862 but destroyed by fire in 1992 and completely rebuilt thereafter by Simpson and Brown Architects. Torsonce Hill rises to 360m (1181 feet) to the east.
Torsonce - from the Gaelic ‘torr sonnaich’. Tor = Hill; Sonce = Fort or palisade, wall.
Archaeology Notes:NT44SE 4 4555 4347
(NT 4555 4347) Torsonce (NAT) on site of Castle (NR), OS 6" map (1970)
Torsonce Castle has been roofed in, and is occupied by the proprietor as a cottage or summer residence. However, local informants in 1852 considered that the house of Torsonce was built on the site of the castle, incorporating only a very small part of it, at the SW corner.
New Statistical Account (NSA) 1845 (D Weddell).
The proprietor (J Bullick) stated that the present house was built about 1830 with later additions, and that he knew of no part of the house which could be part of the old castle. The terrace on the W side of the house is supported by an apparently much older stone wall, but there is nothing to suggest that it formed part of the old castle.